We’re moving…

I’ve been waiting to write this post so long that I actually almost cannot believe I’m finally about to hit publish… I’ve started it over and over again in my head, before shelving it because things weren’t quite in line. Well, we’ve gone far enough down the path that I can tell you all… we’re leaving London and moving to Cornwall!

I don’t think anyone who knows us in real life or here will find it any surprise that we did finally decide to move, although we’ve talked about it for so long that a casual observer could have been forgiven for thinking we might never actually get around to it. London will always be our first love, but Cornwall has held a special place in our hearts for a long long time. It was in a grotty surf lodge in Newquay that M first told me he loved me, 15 years ago, on a university surf trip and where on another beach just along the north coast he asked me to marry him 6 years later. We return every summer and even spent our honeymoon first in Port Isaac and then in a yurt. It seemed fitting, therefore, to celebrate picking up the keys to our new place this weekend with a walk along the coast path around Port Isaac at sunset.

I’m sure there are plenty of questions to answer, so if you have any, let me know in the comments and I’ll come back with an update to answer them. We still have our London flat for a bit longer, and have started to move a few things down to our place in Cornwall, before completing the move properly once Pip breaks up from school. In the meantime, here’s a few photos from last weekend…

I highly recommend this walk, by the way. It packs some serious punch with very little outlay in terms of organisation or money and is extremely rewarding in views. Park in the New Road, Port Isaac car park which is located at the top of the village on the B2367 heading towards Port Gaverne. It is just underneath Restaurant Nathan Outlaw. Take the second entrance to the car park which is slightly lower – parking is free after 6pm – and the coast path is just there. If you follow the coast path along (it is flat) it will take you round the edge of the village with some beautiful views, before joining the main village road just before the Old School House. You can then follow the road down into the village to the harbour, have a drink in the pub, or sit on the beach etc, before following the path back to the car. The view of the sunset from both the beach and the coast path is simply stunning.

Share:

14 Comments

1. Amanda July 13, 2017 / 8:27 am

Moving to be closer to the coast is something we often talk about but it never gone any further than that. I think it’s a fab adventure you are taking, and wish you all the luck. X

2. Amanda July 13, 2017 / 9:17 pm

How have you found getting work down there? And is it true that you won’t be accepted if you’re not Cornish (I’m guessing not!)

3. Lori July 13, 2017 / 10:40 pm

I am so so excited for you! This is such an amazing time for you guy and it is so pretty down there! good luck lovely x

4. Slummy Single Mummy July 15, 2017 / 11:14 am

How exciting! My dad and step-mum moved down to Cornwall a couple of years ago and they are LOVING it. They look amazing on it too – so much more relaxed and vibrant. Good luck!

5. Molly July 17, 2017 / 10:56 am

This is such a huge move and so exciting! We haven’t regretted one single second since moving to Devon four years ago. Absolutely love it down here. xx

6. Laura July 18, 2017 / 12:27 am

I am so excited for you, I really think this is going to be such a positive change for your whole family. I love Cornwall and did half my degree in Falmouth, which I loved and would move back to in a flash!

Laura x

7. Mel Wiggins July 18, 2017 / 2:26 pm

Ah you guys! So excited for you to get down there and enjoy the coast. I imagine it’s going to be a welcome slower pace for your tribe. Hope all the plans go well! x

8. Alice July 18, 2017 / 5:42 pm

I am SO excited for you and your family Rachel, I know how long you’ve been wanting to make the move.

I can’t wait to read all about it! x

9. Gill Crawshaw July 20, 2017 / 12:55 pm

This is so exciting – what a brilliant move. Looking forward to all the photos x

10. Kate Williams July 26, 2017 / 8:54 pm

How fab! We moved from Southend to Bude last year – best thing we’ve ever done!

11. Amy Dacre August 1, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I love the blue towel so much!! P.s – good luck with the move!!

12. astrid c August 2, 2017 / 7:33 am