Things to do in North Cornwall: Strawberry picking at Trevathan Farm, St Endellion

One of the things I am most looking forward to when we move to Cornwall is the food. One of our shared familial loves is food – eating it, cooking it, and also picking it. We have started to experiment with growing it but that hasn’t worked so well for us yet, but something is clearly working as this past weekend when we went past a field with courgettes growing in lines, recognisable only by their flowers, Pip identified them correctly, noting “Papa grows them”…

I don’t think it is the most cost effective way of buying soft fruit but we’ve been several times to pick strawberries this summer and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Once we have space we are definitely going to try growing them – the delight in watching the pair of them greedily eating strawberries (and raspberries at my Dad’s allotment) in the evening sunshine will stay with me for a long time.

So, on our first weekend “living” in Cornwall, we wanted to cook our first meal. We spent the morning having coffee and going to the beach, and then a particularly lovely hour of naptime drinking tea in the car in a beach carpark, just sitting and doing nothing. And then, on the way home, visiting one of our favourite farm shops/pick your own place in North Cornwall: Trevathan Farm, St Endellion.

We first discovered Trevathan on our honeymoon where we picked strawberries and gooseberries – we made the gooseberries into compote which we ate with mackerel that we bought fresh in Port Isaac, grilled on the beach and then ate with new potatoes and the gooseberries, washed down with a Mulderbosch 2003 barrel aged Chardonnay. I can still taste it now… We didn’t have any fish this time, but a simple joint of beef, paired with the tastiest young carrots I’ve had in a long time, and buttery cornish potatoes. Followed with the freshly picked strawberries and some cream, it was a simple but delicious meal, all grown within mere miles of our house.

Trevathan is one of the less commercial places that I’ve picked fruit this summer, particularly compared with another place we go often just north of us in London where the strawberries are all grown on raised beds, there are lots of helpful signs and so on. At Trevathan, it’s a little more… relaxed. The strawberry beds aren’t even that obvious but that also makes it feel more natural. There is plenty of space for the children to play,  there is a cafe/restaurant right by the play area, so you can have tea and watch them. They also grow pick your own gooseberries, raspberries, red gooseberries, blackcurrants and they should have sweetcorn later in the summer, as well as a host of other vegetables that you can buy at the farm shop.

Parking is free and you can easily buy enough from the farm shop to cook for an entire weekend, as well as doing all your holiday souvenir shopping too – they stock Tregothnan tea, lots of ceramics, jewellery, kitchen items, tea towels, napkins, etc, as well as larder items, local cheeses including yarg, Davidstowe cheddar and St Endellion brie, local beer and honey, jams and preserves made from their own fruit, and Cornish ice cream.

Trevathan Farm, St Endellion, near Port Isaac, Cornwall, PL29 3TT

Joining in the #CountryKids linky

Country Kids

Share:

13 Comments

1. Louisa July 18, 2017 / 2:23 pm

I do love to go to pick your own fruit farms and the one you visited looks fantastic. We grow our own strawberries at home, they are very easy to grow but they get picked as quick as they fruit so we can’t ever get a punnet full! Picking your own is a great way of ensuring you have enough for a lovey desert.

2. Slummy Single Mummy July 19, 2017 / 11:50 am

Strawberry picking is such a classic thing to do when you’re little isn’t it? My long term memory is really bad but I still remember picking strawberries as a child and eating them warm from the sun straight off the stalk.

3. Louise Edwards July 19, 2017 / 10:37 pm

Fab photography. Lucky you moving to Cornwall. Strawberry picking is one of our favourite summer activities too. x

4. Nell (Pigeon Pair and Me) July 21, 2017 / 10:43 am

What a mouth-watering post! Your honeymoon meal sounds amazing. We love strawberry picking too. It’s a bit of a family tradition to go in Kent every summer, just before the schools break up.

5. Katie Albury July 23, 2017 / 3:12 pm

Oh I haven’t been strawberry picking for years and what place to do it than beautiful Cornwall x

6. Alice July 24, 2017 / 2:04 pm

I used to do fruit picking all the time as a kid… must get my two back into it. It’s so much fun!!

7. Molly July 24, 2017 / 8:49 pm

This looks completely idyllic! We’ve never taken the kids fruit picking but we do have a veg patch they like to get involved with, and my parents have a huge veg and fruit garden which they love to help out with. I think they’d love a day out at a fruit farm!

8. Emma July 25, 2017 / 10:31 pm

Beautiful photos, we went fruit picking last weekend and my children loved it.

9. Emma Thatcher July 27, 2017 / 1:22 am

I LOVE strawberry picking. I understand your comment about it not being a cost effective way of buying fruit, but if you turn it into a day out with the kids then it works out brilliant. #countrykids

10. Coombe Mill - Fiona Cambouropoulos July 27, 2017 / 11:58 am

This is our local strawberry picking farm! We have been twice in the past few weeks, though with uncooperative teenagers I have to say your photos are far better than mine! It is such a great venue with the cafe, play area and fruit picking. It is easy to make a whole afternoon out of being there which makes it great value for a punnet of fruit, not to mention all the ones I manage to eat along the way. My kids can never resist the zip wire and always ensure I have a go too just to ensure they hear me scream and nearly fall off, it is quite lethal! Wonderful to discover someone else enjoying our local PYO.

Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

11. Laura July 28, 2017 / 11:51 pm

What a wonderful place to go fruit picking! Its a year tradition for us and luckily there is a nice place in South Wales but would love to do this in Cornwall (one of my favourite places 🙂
    Hope your settling in well

Laura x

12. Alison July 31, 2017 / 5:38 pm

You make this look like so much fun but I have a confession to make: when I was little, I HATED fruit picking!! I found it so boring! Am I the only one?!!

13. Lottie :: Oyster and Pearl August 2, 2017 / 6:55 pm

I LOVE strawberry picking but I’m absolutely gutted to have missed the crop this year! Think it was definitely an early one 🙁