Things to do in Cornwall with kids: Pumpkin patch at Trevaskis Farm

Apparently, today is National Pumpkin Day! Who knew… I’ve been trying to get this post live for more than a week now but turns out life can be pretty busy down here – but apparently my inner content creator calendar is obviously perfectly in sync and today is a perfect day to be posting about pumpkins.

I’ve read quite a bit where people have been discussing halloween being an imported event, but I am not sure it is necessarily the case. I understand that pumpkins have formed part of a halloween type tradition particularly in the north of England, and Scotland, for a long time. Personally, I love to embrace a bit of seasonality, and fill our home and table with whatever is plentiful at the time. One restaurant describes their menu as “aggressively seasonal” and I feel like that could also be used to describe our house at present.

Aside from making a lovely photo background, we’ve been trying to visit our local farm shops and where possible pick your own places for several reasons. One, it is nice to eat local and support local businesses; two, I like that the kids are starting to understand a bit more where food comes from, the effort that goes into producing it, and the importance of good ingredients. Pip is learning to cook, and I think a good first step is some understanding why pumpkins thoughtfully grown will make good soup as well as something we can carve for halloween.

We spent a glorious afternoon in the late autumnal afternoon sun, wondering around Trevaskis Farm and selecting our pumpkins. I highly recommend a visit to this farm during the summer when the majority of the soft fruit is in season, but an autumnal visit is also well worth it. (And make sure you stop for tea and cake – the options are legendary.)

I also selected some smaller gourds to decorate the table, which I paired with the last of the roadside flowers. The farm images are all Trevaskis, the other images our house.

Trevaskis Farm

Trevaskis Farm, Connor Downs, Hayle, TR27 5JQ

Pick your Own open 8am-7pm every day

Not a sponsored post!

Country Kids

Share:

12 Comments

1. Candy Pop October 27, 2017 / 9:35 pm

What a beautiful autumnal post! I visited a pumpkin patch last week – such a fun afternoon.

I hope you have a lovely weekend! x

2. Molly October 28, 2017 / 6:06 am

Glorious photos! The light and the sky – ah it’s idyllic. We’re going to a pumpkin day at a local farm this afternoon and I’m so excited. The kids are more excited about the idea of face-painting than the actual pumpkins though!!

3. Keitha October 28, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Beautiful pictures! It is so nice to get outside and pick your own pumpkin. #countrykids

4. Fiona Cambouropoulos October 28, 2017 / 11:23 pm

And there I am saying there isn’t anywhere to pick Pumpkins in Cornwall! To be fair Hayle would be a bit of a trek for us but I may just have to look closer to home now. Looks like a lovely way to enjoy the beautiful warm sunshine over the half term week and your table looks wonderful and seasonal with the hedgerow flowers too. Aggressively seasonal could take off!

Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

• Rachel October 28, 2017 / 11:38 pm

Thanks! I’ve been enjoying the table styling. Trevathan has pumpkins to buy, not sure they were in a patch mind you, but these ones were already picked, you just had to select them 😀

5. Sadie | Be Your Own Example October 29, 2017 / 10:57 am

We visited our first pumpkin patch this year, and we’re big fans! It looks like you enjoyed your visit too, lovely post.
    #countrykids

6. Sonia October 31, 2017 / 7:25 am

Your house looks amazing. I love the front door and porch. WOW. Great photos. We did this for the first time this year, I loved it. Coming over from CountryKids xx

7. Zenbabytravel October 31, 2017 / 11:38 am

Lovely autumnal pics and so much pumpkin fun! We put Trevaski farm on our list for future visits to Cornwall, thanks for sharing! #countrykids

8. Laura November 1, 2017 / 9:26 am

Oh wow what a gorgeous pumpkin patch, bet Autumn in Cornwall has been lovely. I so do miss living there and these photos make me want to move back so badly

Laura x

9. Emma Chanagasubbay November 1, 2017 / 8:17 pm

This looks like a pretty amazing pumpkin patch! I love the variety of pumpkins you chose and how beautiful you arranged them. #countrykids

10. Sherry November 2, 2017 / 8:46 am

We’re huge pumpkin patch fans, in fact we’re huge pick your own fans and I’ve been going for years. I wish I had the time for an allotment, because that would be amazing #CountryKids

11. Lottie :: Oyster and Pearl November 3, 2017 / 7:49 pm

Aggressively seasonal is definitely a stance I can get behind! These are such beautiful pictures x